Château de Bourscheid
The impressive castle of Bourscheid belongs to the most valuable historical possessions of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Its story begins with the first lord of the castle, Bertram of Bourscheid, whose name was mentioned in 1095 for the first time in the castle history. The construction of the castle began around the year 1000 by the replacement of older fortified constructions.
The castle proudly stands on a 150-meter-high cliff washed by the river Sauer and was unassailable by medieval weapons. Because of its all but inaccessibility the castle gained rapidly in strategic importance, as the multiple enlargements and restorations witness, which, in turn, also explain its several architectural styles.
For instance, the outer circular wall was built between 1350 and 1384. The Stolzembourg House was erected in 1384, whereas the castle courtyard was constructed around the year 1477. Twenty years later, the towers at the southside and the eastside were added, though the gateway was flanked by artillery bastions in the sixteenth century.
Since 1812 the castle ruin was slowly deteriorating until it was purchased by the Luxembourg government on 12th April 1972. Subsequently major archeological excavations and restorations have been done.