Château de Schengen
The Schengen Castle is first mentioned in a document dating from 1350. In 1793 this moated castle became the property of the Collart family, owners of a propserous steel mill. In 1912 Jean-Nicolas Collart decided to tear the castle down and replaced it with a new building. Only one of the three towers of the original castle remains today.
In 1939 the castle fell under the ownership of the Saint Elizabeth congregation
The castle's most famous guest was the French writer Victor Hugo, who during his visit in 1871 made a coffee drawing of the tower with its cone-shaped slated roof.
Since April 2010, the Schengen Castle is a hotel.